Microsoft's Bing Claims Windows 7 Is Hot on Twitter Right Now... Is It?
Microsoft’s Bing recently announced a search deal with Twitter. They’ve created a new page meant to show hot topics on Twitter. Here’s what that page looked like at 10:22pm, October 21, right after the Bing-Twitter deal went public:
Microsoft’s Windows 7? Really? “Thong Song” makes sense — it was being performed on Glee at the time. Modern Family was on, and the next Angels vs. Yankees game was around the corner. But that many people were chattering about Windows 7? If they’re buzzing about a Microsoft venture, wouldn’t it more likely be Bing itself, given the day’s news?
Here’s Twitter’s official Trending Topics block at the same moment, 10:22pm:
There’s Glee, “Thong Song,” baseball, dumb Kanye jokes… nothing about Windows or Microsoft.
And, for a third-party perspective, here’s Twitscoop’s hot trends cloud, also from 10:22pm, same night:
Thong is on fire right now! The Phillies are playing as we speak! REPORTING LIVE FROM THE INTERNET: Isn’t anybody as excited about Microsoft Windows 7 as they are about Cougar Town??
The Moral Moment
Clearly, Windows 7 is not actually hot on Twitter at the moment. It’s not presented on the Bing page as an ad, but what else to call it? If Microsoft wants to advertise Windows 7 on their Twitter page, that’s fine. But this kind of thing just makes them look old and out of touch. What happens when the unsatisfied Windows 7 users start piping up? Think their tweets will appear on Bing.com?
The Bing commercials are right: it’s not just a search engine. It’s a Microsoft ad.
- Unveiling the Best Magazine Articles Ever and the Mood Swings of America: Three Best Things 7/26/10 - 8/1/1
- Of Course Your Kids Get More Out Of Facebook Than They Do From School [Three Best Things 4/12/10 - 4/18/10]
- Please Rob Johnny Cash's Letterhead [Five Best Things 2/22/10 - 2/28/10]
- What the Web Will Look Like in Five Years, according to Google's Eric Schmidt
- Three Best Things 9/28/09 - 10/4/09: Social Media Gurus Can't Stop, Won't Stop